Myriah Kunipo-Aguirre (B.S. 2020)

UPDATE: Myriah’s project was also featured by Oregon Quarterly – click here to read their article, “Fighting COVID-19 Misinformation, Global Health Student Tweets the Truth”

UO Global Health student Myriah Kunipo-Aguirre develops her analysis of California’s coronavirus response for Dr. Yarris’s “Global Health Crisis” Course this spring using a creative Twitter platform.

Global Health program staff corresponded with Global Health minor student Myriah Kunipo-Aguirre regarding their experience in the newly (and quickly!) developed Spring 2020 course by Global Health Program Director Kristin Yarris, “Experiential Learning: Global Health Crisis.” The course was developed in response to COVID-19 in part to help Global Health minors still needing to complete the Fieldwork Experience, an important requirement and capstone element to the Global Health minor at the University of Oregon. Myriah’s project for the course is on global/local responses to the pandemic.

Read on to learn more about Myriah’s experience in the Global Health program and their project for the “Global Health Crisis” course (see Myriah’s direct responses to our questions in italics).

What brought you to the University of Oregon, and specifically to the Global Health program?

I chose the University of Oregon to pursue the Human Physiology program and fell in love with the campus immediately during the campus tour. My interest in Global Health began when a guest lecturer spoke in my Physiology course and I realized that I wanted to learn beyond the health sciences. I decided to take Prof Yarris’ INTL 340 course and after completion knew that the Global Health perspective aligned with my interests. I heard of the new Global Health minor through classmates in the course and applied so I could learn more about the interdisciplinary efforts of Global Health.

Tell us a little bit about some of the Global Health program courses you have taken thus far, and what you have found most interesting.

I have taken Global Health & Development, Medical Ethics, and Human Growth & Development thus far. The Global Health & Development was eye-opening to view the aspects of our health care system from a broader, holistic approach. It highlighted the public health principles and the reconstruct needed to have health equality. The Medical Ethics course was also interesting and provided foundational learning on ethical issues that can occur in medicine, with proven tools and approaches for resolution.

What project are you working on for the “Global Health Crisis” course this term as your “field experience” in Global Health?

For my “field experience”, I am focusing on California’s response to COVID-19, with a focus on Los Angeles County. I have started a twitter page where I am curating together information/resources regarding COVID-19 in California and Los Angeles County, using data from the public health departments and the mayor’s office, as well as state official government sites. The twitter platform allows me to quickly link articles or videos and short blurbs on information and add my own analysis to certain news using curated threads and tweets. The main topics I focus on are overall state, county, and city response (health stats, policies, mandates), community resources (financial assistance, food programs), and impact on Southern California’s industry and economy (sports, tourism). My project aims to create an accessible, organized reference for others in my community or personal network to follow. Follow @Covid19_SoCal

What are your aspirations beyond UO?

I hope to pursue a dual degree program that will provide medical knowledge and core competencies that I can apply to studies on population or community health. This could allow opportunities such as a public health practitioner, but also to develop and implement health promotion and disease prevention programs locally or nationally. I would like to focus on shaping health systems and advocate for underserved populations.

Are you a Global Health minor, past or present, interested in sharing your experience in the UO program? Share your story with us! Submit online here.